Climate Change News & Links
The resources on this page are intended to provide early-career natural and social scientists with a few starting places for climate-change information resources. There are numerous websites in each category that are not identified here, so Google away.
This page is divided into the following sections:
- Global climate animations - many variables mapped
- SeaWiFS biosphere animations -- north pacific & north atlantic
Climate News Services
- ClimateArk - climate change and global warming news portal
- Climate Central - science-based information about climate & energy
- Climatewire - daily news
- DotEarth - Andrew Revkin's blog
- Daily Climate - daily news
- E360 (Yale Environment 360) - Opinion, Analysis, Reporting and Debate on Environmental Issues
- EarthPortal - news from the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE)
- Environmental News Network - daily news
- EurekAlert - news from the Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- GreenWire - energy and environmental policy news
- Living on Earth - public radio show
- NASA's Climate Change Newsletter - monthly e-newsletter from NASA's climate change website
- Nature Climate Change - a monthly journal on climate change
- New Scientist - weekly science magazine with a robust section devoted to the environment
- Real Climate - climate science commentary by working climate scientists
- Science & Development Network - news, views and information about science, technology and the developing world
- Science Daily - latest scientific research about earth, climate, energy, technology, and more
- Scientific American - science magazine, with excellent climate coverage
- Skeptical Science - explains peer-reviewed science on global warming for educated lay person
- Tiempo Newswatch - weekly news on climate and development
- UNEP News Centre - United Nations Environment Programme - environment for development
- World News Network - global warming news
Jobs and News Listservs
- An extensive list of Jobs and News Listservs can be found on the DISCCRS Career Resources page.
Organizations with a Focus on Climate Change
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Climate Impact on Agriculture from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (CLIMPAG)
- Climate Access
- International Geosphere-Biosphere Program (IGBP)
- International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP)
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
- International Network of Research on Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS-NET)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- National Academies Committee on the Human Dimensions of Global Change (HDGC)
- National Academy of Sciences' Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- NOAA Climate Services
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- Mathematics and Climate Research Network (MCRN)
Symposia and Workshops for Early-Career Researchers
- ACCESS - Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquium for Emerging Senior Scientists
- APECS - Association of Polar Early Career Scientists' workshiops & symposia
- ASCENT - Atmospheric Science Collaboration and Enriching NeTworks
- DIALOG - Dissertations Initiative for the Advancement of Limnology and Oceanography
- DISCO - Dissertations Symposium on Chemical Oceanography
- DISCCRS - Dissertations Initiative for the Advancement of Climate Change Research
- Eco-DAS - Ecological Dissertations in the Aquatic Sciences
- IASSA - International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) Young Scientists Summer Program
- ISCRAM - International Community on information systems for crisis response and management
- MGLS -
- MYRES - Meeting of Young Researchers in the Solid Earth Sciences
- NCCR - National Centres of Competence in Research Climate Summer School (NCCR)
- PODS - Dissertations Symposium on Physical Oceanography
- SACNAS - Advancing Hispanics/Chicanos & Native Americans in Science
- WAYSNET - World Academy of Young Scientists
- WEBS - Women Evolving Biological Sciences
IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) - The latest assessment from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change:
- Working Group I contribution (WGI AR5): Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis (September 30, 2013)
- Working Group II contribution (WGII AR5): Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability (March 31, 2014)
- Working Group III contribution (WGIII AR5): Scheduled for release April 13, 2014.
- The Keeling Curve - A daily record of atmospheric carbon dioxide from Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- ClimateWizard - Access climate change information and visualize the impacts anywhere on Earth. Download historic and future climate change maps.
- ResearchGate - A professional networking site designed to foster collaboration in and across disciplinary and geographic boundaries.
- Carbon Disclosure Project - Not-for-profit organization holding the largest database of primary corporate climate change information in the world.
- Climate Ethics - Climate change raises profound, unprecedented questions of justice and equity for the human race.
- Climateethics.org - Blog that follows the ethical dimensions of climate change issues that arise in day-to-day climate change policy making.
- Discovery of Global Warming - A hypertext history of global warming science.
- Earth Negotiations Bulletin Archive - Archives of multilateral negotiations on environment & development.
- ELDIS Climate Change Resource Guide - Gateway to Development Information.
- Global Climate Change Briefing Book - Briefings from the Congressional Research Service.
- Facilitating Climate Change Responses - A Report of Two Workshops on Insights from the Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Climate Change: A guide to information and disinformation - Published by the Society of Environmental Journalists.
- Stephen Schneider Interview from Crisis of Life project - (transcript of the interview can be downloaded here)
- A Focus on Science, Engineering, and Education for Sustainability - Article on the NSF's Science, Engineering and Education for Sustainability initiative.
- Ocean Acidification - An online resource containing infographics, publications, background information, presentations, and news aimed at researchers, policymakers and the public, from the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP), the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC-UNESCO), the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR), and the Ocean Acidification International Coordination Center (OA-ICC) of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) (March 2014).
- Frequently Asked Questions about Ocean Acidification - A concise, readable summary of the state of ocean acidification knowledge, from the U.S. Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry program.
- Strategic Plan for Federal Research and Monitoring of Ocean Acidification (PDF) - The first U.S. federal ocean acidification strategic plan, from the Interagency Working Group on Ocean Acidification (March 2014).
- Center for the Study of Interdisciplinarity - The first center devoted to developing a philosophy of interdisciplinarity.
- Videos on basic climate science:
- 5 Things We Learned About Climate Change - Short video by SciShow about the IPCC WGI AR5 report released September 30, 2013.
- Household Carbon Footprint Calculator - Online calculator from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that gives a rough estimate of a household's greenhouse gas emissions, and explores impacts of various emissions-reductions actions.
NASA Animations of Global Warming since 1880 (updated January 2014):
- NASA Scientific Visualization Studio: Five-Year Global Temperature Anomalies from 1880 to 2013
- The Atlantic Cities: Watch the Earth Warm Since 1880 in This Fascinating Animation
- Climate Change Evidence and Causes - An overview from the UK Royal Society and U.S. National Academy of Sciences (February 27, 2014).
- What We Know: The Reality, Risks and Response to Climate Change - Public communication campaign by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Resources include a 28-page "backgrounder" and several videos of scientists (March 18, 2014).