Climate Change News & Links
The resources on this page are intended to provide early-career natural and social scientists with a few starting places for climate-change information resources. There are numerous websites in each category that are not identified here, so Google away.
This page is divided into the following sections:
- Global climate animations (many variables mapped) - University of Oregon Department of Geography
- SeaWiFS Project biosphere animations for the North Pacific & North Atlantic - NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
NASA Animations of Global Warming since 1880 (updated January 2014):
- NASA Scientific Visualization Studio: Five-Year Global Temperature Anomalies from 1880 to 2013
- CityLab (The Atlantic): Watch the Earth Warm Since 1880 in This Fascinating Animation
Climate News Services
- ClimateArk - climate change and global warming news portal
- Climate Central - science-based information about climate & energy
- ClimateWire - news about the politics and business of climate change
- DotEarth - Andrew Revkin's blog
- Daily Climate - daily news
- Environmental News Network - daily news
- EurekAlert - news from the Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- GreenWire - energy and environmental policy news
- Living on Earth - public radio show
- NASA's Climate Change Newsletter - monthly e-newsletter from NASA's climate change website
- Nature Climate Change - a monthly journal on climate change
- New Scientist - weekly science magazine with a robust section devoted to the environment
- Real Climate - climate science commentary by working climate scientists
- SciDev.Net - news and analysis about science and the developing world
- Science Daily - latest scientific research about earth, climate, energy, technology, and more
- Scientific American - science magazine, with excellent climate coverage
- Skeptical Science - explains peer-reviewed science on global warming for educated lay person
- Tiempo Newswatch - weekly news on climate and development
- UNEP News Centre - United Nations Environment Programme - environment for development
- World News Network - global warming news
- Yale Environment 360 (e360) - opinion, analysis, reporting and debate on environmental issues
Job-Related Pages and Topical Listservs
- An extensive list of Job-Related Pages and Topical Listservs can be found on the DISCCRS Career Resources page.
Organizations with a Focus on Climate Change
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Climate Impact on Agriculture from the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (CLIMPAG)
- Climate Access
- International Geosphere-Biosphere Program (IGBP)
- International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP)
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD)
- International Network of Research on Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS-NET)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- National Academies Board on Evironmental Change and Society (BECS), formerly the Committee on the Human Dimensions of Global Change (HDGC)
- National Academy of Sciences' Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate (BASC)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- NOAA Climate Services
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS)
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP)
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- Mathematics and Climate Research Network (MCRN)
Symposia and Workshops for Early-Career Researchers
- ACCESS - Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquium for Emerging Senior Scientists (held in odd-numbered years)
- APECS - Association of Polar Early Career Scientists meetings and events
- ASCENT - Atmospheric Science Collaboration and Enriching NeTworks
- DIALOG - Dissertations Initiative for the Advancement of Limnology and Oceanography
- DISCO - Dissertations Symposium on Chemical Oceanography
- DISCCRS - Dissertations Initiative for the Advancement of Climate Change Research
- Eco-DAS - Ecological Dissertations in the Aquatic Sciences
- IIASA - International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) Young Scientists Summer Program
- ISCRAM - International Community on information systems for crisis response and management
- MGLS -
- MYRES - Meeting of Young Researchers in the Solid Earth Sciences
- NCCR - National Centres of Competence in Research Climate Summer School (NCCR)
- PODS - Dissertations Symposium on Physical Oceanography
- SACNAS - Advancing Hispanics/Chicanos & Native Americans in Science
- WAYSNET - World Academy of Young Scientists
- WEBS - Women Evolving Biological Sciences
IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) - The latest assessment from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change:
- Working Group I contribution (WGI AR5): Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis (September 30, 2013)
- Working Group II contribution (WGII AR5): Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability (March 31, 2014)
- Working Group III contribution (WGIII AR5): Scheduled for release April 13, 2014.
- The Keeling Curve - A daily record of atmospheric carbon dioxide from Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- ClimateWizard - Access climate change information and visualize the impacts anywhere on Earth. Download historic and future climate change maps.
- ResearchGate - A professional networking site designed to foster collaboration in and across disciplinary and geographic boundaries.
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) - Not-for-profit organization holding the largest database of primary corporate climate change information in the world.
Rock Ethics Institute (Penn State) - Climate change raises profound, unprecedented questions of justice and equity for the human race.
- Rock Blogs - Blogs that touch on the ethical dimensions of climate change issues that arise in day-to-day climate change policy making.
- Discovery of Global Warming - A hypertext history of global warming science.
- Earth Negotiations Bulletin Archive - Archives of multilateral negotiations on environment & development.
- ELDIS Climate Change Resource Guide - Gateway to Development Information.
- Global Climate Change Briefing Book - Briefings from the Congressional Research Service.
- Facilitating Climate Change Responses - A Report of Two Workshops on Insights from the Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Climate Change: A guide to information and disinformation - Published by the Society of Environmental Journalists.
- Stephen Schneider Interview from Crisis of Life project - (transcript of the interview can be downloaded here)
- A Focus on Science, Engineering, and Education for Sustainability - Article on the NSF's Science, Engineering and Education for Sustainability initiative.
- Ocean Acidification - An online resource containing infographics, publications, background information, presentations, and news aimed at researchers, policymakers and the public, from the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP), the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC-UNESCO), the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR), and the Ocean Acidification International Coordination Center (OA-ICC) of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) (March 2014).
- Frequently Asked Questions about Ocean Acidification - A concise, readable summary of the state of ocean acidification knowledge, from the U.S. Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry program.
- Strategic Plan for Federal Research and Monitoring of Ocean Acidification (PDF) - The first U.S. federal ocean acidification strategic plan, from the Interagency Working Group on Ocean Acidification (March 2014).
- Center for the Study of Interdisciplinarity - The first center devoted to developing a philosophy of interdisciplinarity.
- Videos on basic climate science:
- 5 Things We Learned About Climate Change - Short video by SciShow about the IPCC WGI AR5 report released September 30, 2013.
- Household Carbon Footprint Calculator - Online calculator from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that gives a rough estimate of a household's greenhouse gas emissions, and explores impacts of various emissions-reductions actions.
- Climate Change Evidence and Causes - An overview from the UK Royal Society and U.S. National Academy of Sciences (February 27, 2014).
- What We Know: The Reality, Risks and Response to Climate Change - Public communication campaign by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Resources include a 28-page "backgrounder" and several videos of scientists (March 18, 2014).
- How to Convince Conservative Christians That Global Warming Is Real - Article at Climate Desk based on an interview with DISCCRS VIII Mentor Katharine Hayhoe for the podcast Inquiring Minds (May 2, 2014).
- Encyclopedia of Earth - Articles, definitions, speeches, reports, ebooks, images, videos, and sound files from the National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE)
- Climate Voices Science Speakers Network - The Climate Voices network brings non-political conversations about the research findings of the majority of climate scientists to citizens across the United States and Puerto Rico. Climate researchers are invited to sign up as speakers, and anyone can search the speaker database to identify speakers in their geographic area.
- 1,001 Blistering Future Summers - This interactive graphic from Climate Central depicts projected average summer high temperatures by 2100 for 1,001 U.S. cities (if current emissions trends continue) by showing which current cities they are going to feel most like (July 9, 2014).